The boot camp will be a 1-week experiential learning program on using story telling as a media tool to harness demographic dividend. The boot camp will also focus on the pillars of demographic dividend and how the media can be used to tell stories to inform the public on harnessing demographic dividend.
THE DEMOGRAPHIC DIVIDEND PILLARS
To address this high youth unemployment rates, labour force participation needs to be increased by providing employment opportunities to with high-quality jobs which would increase overall productivity, young people should be empowered with the necessary entrepreneurial skills to enable them to create jobs for themselves.
Access to quality, technical and vocational education and training is also a way of getting the youths ready for the jobs provided by the government and the private sector.
The importance of ensuring good health is key to reducing youth vulnerability and to maximizing human capital investment. As such, to harness the demographic dividend, it is critical to make strategic investments that would improve health outcomes.
Harnessing the demographic dividend in Nigeria requires investments in ensuring participatory, representative and inclusive policies as a committed government.
- To develop competent demographic dividend storytellers.
- To use the media to create awareness on health and economic productivity issues relating to youths.
- To increase stakeholder participation on issues focused on harnessing demographic dividend through media and storytelling.
- To develop partnerships for harnessing demographic dividend through the media.
BOOT CAMP INFORMATION
- The Boot camp will be held on a secure Island in Lagos state. The camp can only be reached by boat; applicants must be comfortable taking sea transportation.
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted via e-mail between 8th and 10th July 2019.
- Cost of attendance (transportation from port of departure in Lagos to camp, accommodation and feeding during camp, camp materials) will be covered for selected participants.
- Approved participants will be requested via e-mail to apply and complete an online participant registration form for the workshops in order to complete their registration process after the 2nd week of July 2019.
- All selected participants are required to sign a Code of Conduct and media consent form in order to issue their visa applications (if needed) which must be complete in clear hand writing and emailed. Original copy of the Code of Conduct must be submitted by hand on the first day of the conference to the registration team.
- Further information will be provided to all selected participants via e-mail in the 2nd week of July 2019 and with the completion of phase one of the registration process about the accommodation, event participation guidelines and other important information.
- Failure to complete and provide any of the required information will prevent the candidate’s chance in attending this boot camp.
- Please include write your full name as mentioned in the Passport/ID.
- Each participant will receive a certificate at the end of the boot camp shall be granted by the end of day 5 via e-mail after the closing ceremony with the confirmation of full attendance of all sessions and the completion of all required surveys only. (Soft copies only)
- No Certificates will be provided afterwards if the participants failed to receive it by the end of the event via e-mail.
- You will be required to send the following information if your application is selected:
- Profile picture
- Signed code of conduct form
- Signed media consent form
- Form of identification – Driver’s license/International passport/National ID card
Thank you for your interest to participate in Media Advocacy Storytelling Boot camp 2019.
Your application will be approved based on the requirements listed below, therefore please complete this Online Application Form and read carefully all the stated instructions and information before applying.
The Media Advocacy Storytelling Boot camp 2019 will run for 6 nights and 7 days in July 2019
The Online Registration form will be open for participants starting from 20th June – 7th July 2019.
- Must be between 18 and 30 years old as at July 20th FEMALES are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to travel to/within Nigeria within July 1st and 31st 2019
- Must be willing to agree to the Boot camp code of conduct and media consent
- Must be willing to cover all attendance cost for getting to and fro the point of departure
- Must submit a duly completed application form through the online platform ONLY before the deadline. Registration closes Sunday, 7th July, 2019 23:59 GMT+1
- Must be comfortable taking sea transportation (commercial boat/ferry)
- Must be willing to sign the Boot Camp Code of Conduct and the Media Consent Form